Starting a Journey into Effective Digital Advertising for Your Personal Site
Which online content creation strategy should I adopt? Your material production tactic mainly relies on the specific needs of the viewers throughout the different phases of the buying procedure. Start by developing ideal customer profiles (use the readily obtainable examples or makemypersona.com) to understand the essential aims and obstacles that your target audience faces in relation to your own enterprise. At its center, your online information should strive to support them in achieving these goals and surmounting these challenges.
Further, you should evaluate when your target audience would be most responsive to absorbing this content, in alignment with their positioning in the purchasing process. This is referred to as content mapping. The primary objective of material mapping is to align content to:
1. The attributes of the person consuming the content (buyer personas are integral here).
2. The closeness of that person to completing a purchase (their stage in the buying process).
Regarding the formatting of your content, there’s a multitude of choices to experiment with. Here are some recommendations we advise for each step of the purchasing process:
- Blog posts. Incredibly effective for augmenting your unpaid visitors when combined with a robust SEO and keyword approach.
- Infographics. These are extremely shareable, which amplifies your opportunities of finding via social platforms when others spread your content. (Utilize these free visual aid templates to jumpstart your efforts.)
- Short videos. These are also highly shareable and can present your company to new viewers by hosting them on platforms like YouTube.
- Ebooks. These are outstanding for lead creation as they tend to be more elaborate than a blog post or infographic, implying that someone is more likely to exchange their contact data to access it.
- Research reports. This high-quality content type is also excellent for lead generation. Research reports and new data for your industry can operate in the awareness stage as well since they are often picked up by the media or sector press.
- Webinars. Being a more intricate, interactive variant of video content, webinars serve as an successful consideration stage information format as they provide more detailed content than a blog post or short video.
- Case studies. Detailed case studies on your site can be a potent format of material for those on the verge of making a buying decision, as it assists in favorably influencing their decision.
- Testimonials. If case studies aren’t well-suited for your business, having short testimonials scattered around your website is a praiseworthy alternative. For B2C brands, consider testimonials in a broader sense. If you’re a clothing brand, these could manifest as photos showcasing how others have styled a shirt or dress, sourced from a branded hashtag where people can contribute.
Planning the Course for Digital Marketing
- Define your goals.
- Identify your target audience.
- Establish a budget for each digital channel.
- Strike a harmonious balance between paid and free digital strategies.
- Create engaging material.
- Optimize your digital assets for mobile.
- Conduct keyword research.
- Iterate based on the analytics you measure.
Initiating digital marketing demands the crystal clear identification and definition of your goals, as these will dictate your tactic. If your objective is to boost brand awareness, you may desire to concentrate on reaching new audiences via social platforms.
Alternatively, you may desire to surge sales for a specific product — in this case, focusing on SEO and optimizing information to draw potential buyers to your site is essential. If sales are your aim, you might wish to experiment with PPC campaigns to drive website traffic through paid ads. Regardless of the specifics, shaping a digital marketing tactic becomes considerably easier once your company’s overarching goals are established.
We’ve touched on this earlier, but the advantage of digital marketing lies in the possibility to target specific audiences. However, this advantage is meaningless without first pinpointing your target audience. Your target audience can vary depending on the platform or goals you have for a particular product or campaign.
For example, you may have noticed that your Instagram audience leans towards younger individuals who prefer amusing memes and quick videos, while your LinkedIn audience comprises older professionals seeking more tactical advice. You’ll need to tailor your material to cater to these unique target audiences.
Your budget should reflect the various elements of digital marketing you utilize. If your focus is on inbound techniques like SEO, social media, and content generation for an already established website, the silver lining is that you don’t need a significant budget.
However, for outbound techniques like online advertising and buying email lists, some costs will be incurred. The extent of these costs is dependent on the level of visibility you want to gain as a result of the advertising.
A well-rounded digital marketing strategy generally necessitates a mix of both paid and free elements for optimal effectiveness. For example, you can invest time in creating comprehensive buyer personas to better understand your audience’s needs and generating high-quality online material to convert them, which can yield strong results with minimal ad spend.
However, if paid advertising forms a part of your digital strategy, you might see quicker results. Ultimately, strive to grow your organic (or ‘free’) reach through information, SEO, and social media for sustainable success.
Once you have discerned your audience and determined a budget, the next step is to create material for the various channels at your disposal. This could take the form of social media posts, blog posts, PPC ads, sponsored content, email marketing newsletters, and more.
Mobile marketing forms a critical component of digital marketing. In fact, smartphone usage accounts for 69% of time spent consuming digital media in the U.S., while desktop-based digital media consumption constitutes less than half.
This means that optimizing your digital ads, web pages, social media images, and other digital assets for mobile devices is crucial. If your company has a mobile app that facilitates user engagement with your brand or allows them to shop your products, your app falls under the purview of digital marketing as well.
Effective keyword research is fundamental for optimizing your site and material for SEO and ensuring people can find your business via search engines. Keyword research for social media can also assist in marketing your products or services across various social channels.
To create a sustainable digital marketing tactic for the long term, it’s vital for your team to learn how to pivot based on analytics.
For instance, you might notice that your audience isn’t as interested in your Instagram content anymore but is highly engaged with what you’re posting on Twitter. Or, you might find an older webpage isn’t getting the website traffic it used to. This could be an possibility to either refresh your Instagram strategy or update/remove the underperforming webpage.
Digital marketing provides businesses with incredible possibilities for continuous growth — it’s up to you to seize them.
Taking the Plunge into Digital Marketing
If you’re already utilizing digital marketing, you’re probably reaching certain omhbmg segments of your audience online. No doubt, you can identify areas of your approach that could benefit from some refinement.